Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Awesome Book! By David Albert




Well, after 6 years or more of being on this "unschooling journey" (with my child - before that I was on one with myself, but I didn't know it yet) I have finally been introduced to David Albert's book Homeschooling and the Voyage of Self-Discovery.

Thanks to my sister, who has only been homeschooling for a few months.

I do not know how come none of my friends know about this book - or why the ones who do never mentioned it, but I must say it is a must-read!!

Very inspirational and funny. And it manages to be hard-hitting (doesn't beat around the bush about the government or the history of schools) while also being totally entertaining and fairly light-hearted.

I'm in a hurry, as usual. And those of you who know me know how I hate to review books in any useful way. I can just say, READ THIS BOOK!

2 comments:

  1. When we started homeschooling over 22 years ago there were probably 10 homeschooling books on the market. Now, there's an explosion of books and many to choose from. My children are grown (sort of...since homeschooling is a lifetime endeavor) and I slacked off from reading books on the subject years ago but I'm thinking it might be time to read a new generation of books. This one sounds intriguing. I did read some good reviews on this book but one in particular was not very flattering and the reviewer complained about purchasing the book. My comment to that is 'hey, that's what libraries are for silly, so you don't have to buy the book!' Personally, I think any book written on the subject of homeschooling is worth the time. We can learn from the experience of others no matter what they have to say about it. I don't have a problem with an author wailing against their public school experience either. For many of us public schooling was the nearest thing to a death sentence. Thanks for the review. I may just go and get this book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, everyone has different tastes, I guess, and I am not really a fan of "how-to" homeschooler books, probably because I don't consider myself a homeschooler. What I look for in a book is inspiration, good information, facts, validation, humor, and an excellent writing style, and I would say this book has all of those.

    If you're unsure, yeah, get it at the library! That's what I did, but as soon as I can, I'm going to buy a copy for my permanent collection.

    Thanks for your thougts!

    ReplyDelete