Saturday, January 17, 2009

These *lovely* winter mornings

I think it was in 1996, when I met my friend Hilary, that I first became enamored of The Leisurely Morning. She had a job with a 10:00 start time and her boyfriend was in school, so every morning they would set the table with placemats and a little pitcher of syrup and little orange juice glasses, and make waffles and drink coffee and chat. I had never thought of having mornings like this - except on weekends - and I was so excited to give up my rushed early hours. Give or take some months here and there where I had early-starting temp jobs, I must say I have completely transformed myself into someone who lives for the slow-paced breakfast! I had already been living this way for 7 years when my first son was born, and now that he is "school age" I am so glad that I don't have to give this up in order to send him off on the school bus.

Actually, I usually get up before him, with my two-year-old, and he (now 5-1/2) gets to sleep in!

I must admit we rarely eat waffles, but we always at least eat hot cereal, and I get two cups of tea or coffee before leaving for the day. We often make pancakes and sausage. Mmmm. . .

I just talked with a friend who has to get up at 5 a.m. in order to get her daughter ready for school (and she has to drag her kicking and screaming to the bus, and force her to stay on it). She said "I know hearing this is going to make you extra glad you aren't sending Ezra to school."

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment